Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Trip to the Movies #1 - Les Misérables

Last Friday I dragged my boyfriend along to see Les Misérables. Ever since I seen the ads online last year, I wanted to go see this movie. The original musical was a big part of my childhood memories growing up. My Mom and Dad went to see the stage production in the Point years ago and loved all the songs even before then. Of course my brother, sister and I couldn't get away from the songs as the were played constantly on long journeys down the country or whenever we got into the car for that matter. They were on repeat even more after they went to see the show. We didn't mind though as we grew to love the songs and knew all the words. It was nice to go to see the movie as it jolted my memory and it was like I never stopped listening to them at all. The stellar cast gave an unreal performance that really sucked you in, who knew they had those amazing voices. I know alot of movie critics would disagree with me on that statement but I really thought they were brilliant. My boyfriend who wasn't too keen on going at first really enjoyed it too. He loved Sacha Baron Cohen in it, he thought it was good to see him in a serious film, even though he still played a comedy role.

The two stand out stars for me were Samantha Barks and Anne Hathaway, the latter definitely deserves a Oscar win. While I hadn't heard of Samantha Barks beforehand this performance will definitely cement her place as a big name actress and hopefully we see her in some movies soon. It's hard to believe she was the second runner up in Andrew Lloyd Webber' s "I'd Do Anything" in which she was trying to win the role in Oliver!. It just shows that you don't have to win these shows in order to make a career in music. The two young stars of the movie, Daniel Huddlestone and Isabelle Allen also deserve a mention. They were both astounding, I wish I could sing like that now, let alone at their age. My Mom and Dad went to see Les Misérables on Saturday night, a Christmas present from me. Having see the musical production themselves already, I knew they had set the bar high for the movie. They couldn't of praised this movie enough when they got home. They said it definitely did the musical justice and both of them enjoyed every minute of it.

Well did this musical that took over most of my childhood exceed my high expectations? Yes it most certainly did. The only other musical film I've seen recently was Sweeney Todd and  Les Misérables definitely tops it.

Have you seen Les Misérables? What were your thoughts on it?

Laura<3

6 comments:

  1. I've seen it too, I love it! I was lucky enough to go to the world premiere back in December (I wrote an article about it on my blog!)

    I have already seen it 3 times!

    Jen xx
    http://kitsch-n-sync.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing isn't it? What?? No way, I'm so jealous. How did you manage to go along to that? xx

      Delete
  2. Ah I went to see it last night, and I totally agree with you. Iv'e seen the musical and have been brought up with the music, due to my mum being a big fan. I love how the film portrays things that they couldnt necessarily do on the stage :) ..defintely one of the best films ive seen in a long timexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. I haven't seen the musical yet but it's definitely on my to do list. I loved the film, it was brill. xx

      Delete
  3. I saw it in the west end just before christmas so I am desp to go see it at the cinema and see how they compare! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz you will love it, such a good film. I haven't seen the musical so I can't really compare but my parents did and they thought the film was great too:D xx

      Delete

Thanks for the lovely comments!!! I enjoy reading them:D

I always try to reply to them so check back soon!

If you have any questions regarding any aspect of my blog e.g if you want to see any particular post etc., don't hesitate to email me on laura-a-mc-k@hotmail.com <3